Guidelines for Use of Archival Collections
The CSRC Library reserves the right to deny access to archival collections or to modify these guidelines based on the condition of archival materials and/or staff availability.
A valid form of identification (ex. driver's license; passport; military ID) will be kept while the patron is using the archival materials.
In-library use of archival collections will be under the direct supervision of library staff.
- The patron is responsible for the careful handling of all materials.
- Do NOT rearrange any archival materials.
- Patrons must ONLY use pencils while working with archival collections.
- Patrons may NOT eat, drink, or chew gum while using archival collections.
- Archival collections CANNOT be removed from the library at any time.
- ONLY materials needed for research may be taken into the reading room when using archival collections. Briefcases, handbags, and computer cases, as well as coats, and hats are NOT ALLOWED. They may be kept in the librarian's office.
- Under NO circumstances are marks of any kind to be made on the archival documents.
- All materials are to be viewed flat on the table. Do NOT fold any archival materials.
- Do NOT lean on materials, and NO books or other objects are to be placed on top of the archival documents at any time.
- NO MORE than ONE BOX and ONE FOLDER may be viewed at one time.
- The only objects that may be placed in materials are acid-free markers available at the library.
- NO direct handling of photographs is allowed. Appropriate cotton gloves will be provided.
- NO direct tracing may be made of the archival materials.
- You MUST request permission to photocopy any archival documents. Photocopying is decided on an item-by-item basis. No more than 10% or 200 pages- whichever is less, will be copied from any collection. Additional restrictions may apply based on copyright law or donor agreements. ALL photocopying will be carried out by library staff with the expense being the responsibility of the patron.
- Permission of photocopy does NOT constitute permission to publish.
- Fragile or sensitive materials CANNOT be photocopied.
- Patrons are liable for any copyright infringement.